Keywords

Latest topics
Welcome to Gokart Bazaar
Hello guest, welcome to the forum. As a guest your access is limited , In order to see the help, how to sections, you need to register. Press this box to jump to the Registration Form. A valid email is needed for registration, in order to receive a verification code to enter the forum. I look forward to you registering
Gallery

How to adjust camber correctly?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

BlackScorpion
Admin
Admin
http://www.gokartbazaar.com

PostBlackScorpion on Wed 12 Jun 2013, 11:45 pm

Author

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]Rod Hawkins

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: How to adjust camber correctly?

This site has been so helpful I feel bad to keep asking for advice, but once again, I need some

I recently bought a used 2008 Margay Brava 1.8 chassis.  As I was replacing my chain and gears today, I was going thru some other things. Turns out the wheels were loose on the spindles (easy fix) and the steering/spindle where very loose (I am sure that is great for handling) it also creates a situation where the adjustable camber spindle pill was loose and could turn by hand, which probably means as I am driving down the track, my cart is changing handling characteristics. I don't know enough about where to even begin to adjust it, but how do I make sure that at least it is in a somewhat normal/neutral position?

Here is the pill I have on the top

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

And this in one on bottom (which looks like NO adjustment on this side)

Any advice or tips?  

Tia.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]Walt Gifford

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject:

Set the toe 1/16th toe in, camber 1 degree negative (closer at the top) when the kart is on a flat surface with the driver in the seat.  

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician  

Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001

Yamaha KT100 Service Center

40 years karting experience

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject:

Walt Gifford wrote:
Set the toe 1/16th toe in, camber 1 degree negative (closer at the top) when the kart is on a flat surface with the driver in the seat.  

Closer at the top, meaning closer towards the center or midline of the chassis?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]Walt Gifford

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:51 am    Post subject:

Yes, the two front tires should be closer at the top than they are at the bottom (negative camber). It's just a starting point but works most of the time. 

With pills like that you end up having to choose between more caster or less caster to get the camber setting you want. If you're on a track with tight high G turns you want less caster, if your track is big with wide turns you want more caster. 

You can get straight pills for that kart and see what that gives you too. Maybe use straight on the bottom and adjustable on top if you only need a small adjustment. 

When ever you tighten the king pins make sure there's upward pressure on the tire or your adjustment will slip after a few hard turns.

It's important to check your corner weights too. Does the kart roll straight on a flat surface?

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician  

Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001

Yamaha KT100 Service Center

40 years karting experience

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:25 am    Post subject:

Walt,

Thanks for the help. I have only the adjustable top pill and the bottom is just the standard one, so I think it is only adjustable 1.5 degrees, so I made it 1.5 degrees negative and will play with that first. Thanks again.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum